Treatment at Mayo Clinic
Men with prostate cancer who seek care at Mayo Clinic have access to a full range of treatment options. Your care team determines which treatments are most effective in your specific situation and works closely with you to choose the treatments that meet your needs and preferences.
Mayo Clinic doctors offer special expertise in several treatment areas.
Mayo Clinic surgeons are extensively trained and experienced in performing radical prostatectomy. Research shows that doctors who perform many prostate surgeries and work in medical centers that care for many men undergoing prostate surgery generally provide superior outcomes.
Mayo Clinic offers all types of radical prostatectomy surgery, include robotic prostatectomy.
Mayo Clinic radiation oncologists are experts in planning treatment that targets prostate cancer cells and spares as much nearby healthy tissue as possible.
Mayo Clinic offers the latest in radiation therapy techniques, including:
March 03, 2015
- Prostate cancer. Fort Washington, Pa.: National Comprehensive Cancer Network. http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp. Accessed Jan. 21, 2015.
- Wein AJ, ed., et al. Campbell-Walsh Urology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://wwwclinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 21, 2015.
- Gunderson LL. Clinical Radiation Oncology. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clincalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 21, 2015.
- What you need to know about prostate cancer. National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/publications/patient-education/wyntk-prostate-cancer. Accessed Jan. 21, 2015.
- Niederhuber JE, et al., eds. Prostate cancer. Abeloff's Clinical Oncology. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 21, 2015.
- Distress management. Fort Washington, Pa.: National Comprehensive Cancer Network. http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp. Accessed Jan. 21, 2015.
- Skolarus TA, et al. American Cancer Society prostate cancer survivorship care guidelines. CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians. 2014;64:225.
- Smith RA, et al. Cancer screening in the United States, 2015: A review of current American Cancer Society guidelines and current issues in cancer screening. CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians. 2015;65:30.
- Prostate cancer prevention (PDQ). National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/prevention/prostate/healthprofessional. Accessed Jan. 21, 2015.
- Cuzick J, et al. Prevention and early detection of prostate cancer. Lancet Oncology 2014;15:e484.
- Cook AJ. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 8, 2014.
- Castle EP (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Phoenix/Scottsdale, Ariz. Feb. 13, 2015.