- Experience. Mayo Clinic is a leading treatment center for people with primary sclerosing cholangitis. Mayo Clinic has the largest liver transplant program in the United States and has performed many transplants in people who have primary sclerosing cholangitis. Mayo Clinic is one of the few medical centers in the country that treats bile duct cancer with a liver transplant.
- Team approach. Effective treatment of primary sclerosing cholangitis requires coordinated care by several specialties. Liver specialists (hepatologists), radiologists, pathologists, oncologists, pediatric specialists and surgeons work as a team to provide comprehensive care for adults and children with primary sclerosing cholangitis.
- Continuous improvement. Many Mayo Clinic doctors are researching primary sclerosing cholangitis, including studies on genetic risk and new medications. You benefit from those treated before you, and your treatment contributes to new knowledge for the future.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., ranks No. 1 for digestive disorders in the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals rankings. Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., are ranked high performing for digestive disorders by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic also ranks among the Best Children's Hospitals for digestive disorders.
Apr. 09, 2011
- Ross AS, et al. Sclerosing cholangitis and recurrent pyogenic cholangitis. In: Feldman M, et al. Sleisenger & Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-6189-2..X0001-7--TOP&isbn=978-1-4160-6189-2&about=true&uniqId=229935664-2192. Accessed March 3, 2011.
- Diagnosis and management of primary sclerosing cholangitis. Alexandria, Va.: American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases. http://www.aasld.org/practiceguidelines/Documents/Practice%20Guidelines/PSC_2-2010.pdf. Accessed March 3, 2011.
- Lopez MJ, et al. Primary sclerosing cholangitis and primary biliary cirrhosis. The American College of Gastroenterology. http://www.acg.gi.org/patients/gihealth/sclerosing.asp. Accessed March 3, 2011.
- Primary sclerosing cholangitis. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/primarysclerosingcholangitis/index.htm. Accessed March 3, 2011.
- Liver health. American Liver Foundation. http://www.liverfoundation.org/abouttheliver/liverhealth/. Accessed March 3, 2011.
- Mendes F, et al. Primary and sclerosing cholangitis: Overview and update. Nature Reviews Gastroenterology & Hepatology. 2010;7:611.
- Rosenthal TC, et al. Fatigue: An overview. American Family Physician. 2008;78:1173.