Mayo Clinic doctors' experience and integrated team approach result in transplant outcomes that compare favorably with national averages. Teams work with transplant recipients before, during and after surgery to ensure the greatest likelihood of superior results.
Volumes and statistics are maintained separately for each Mayo Clinic location. Taken together or separately, transplant patients at Mayo Clinic enjoy excellent results.
A total of 59 liver transplants, including nine living-donor transplants, were performed at Mayo Clinic in Arizona in 2011. More than 630 have been performed since the program began in 1999.
Mayo Clinic in Florida has performed more than 2,345 liver transplants in people ages 15 and older, since its program began in 1998.
Mayo Clinic in Florida has one of the shortest wait times to transplant of all adult liver transplant programs in the country.
Surgeons at Mayo Clinic in Minnesota performed 124 liver transplants in 2011, including 22 living donor liver transplants. More than 2,250 transplants have been performed in children and adults since the program began in 1985.
Liver Transplant Patient Survival — Adult
Liver Transplant Patient Survival — Adult Deceased Donor
Liver Transplant Patient Survival — Adult Living Donor
Liver Donor Organ (Graft) Survival — Adult
Liver Donor Organ (Graft) Survival — Adult Deceased Donor
Liver Donor Organ (Graft) Survival — Adult Living Donor
Liver Transplant Patient Survival — Children
Liver Transplant Patient Survival — Child Deceased Donor
Liver Transplant Patient Survival — Child Living Donor
Liver Donor Organ (Graft) Survival — Children
Liver Donor Organ (Graft) Survival — Child Deceased Donor
Liver Donor Organ (Graft) Survival — Child Living Donor
Dec. 02, 2016
- Scientific Registry of Transplant Recipients. http://www.srtr.org/default.aspx. April 11, 2016.
- U.S. News & World Report. U.S. News Best Hospitals 2015-16. http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings. Accessed Feb. 22, 2016.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Liver transplant. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Eggebraaten KR (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 23, 2016.
- Barbara DW, et al. The perioperative management of patients undergoing combined heart-liver transplantation. Transplantation. 2015;99:139.
- Bulatao IG, et al. Avoiding stay in the intensive care unit after liver transplantation: A score to assign location of care. American Journal of Transplantation. 2014;14:2088.
- Heimbach JK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 28, 2016.
- Stulak JM, et al. Combined heart and abdominal organ transplantation: Excellent outcomes gained from a unique experience. Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation. 2014;33:S278.
- Ibrahim SH (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 14, 2016.
- Glorioso JM, et al. Pivotal preclinical trial of the spheroid reservoir bioartificial liver. Journal of Hepatology. 2015;63:388.
- Heimbach JK, et al. Combined liver transplantation and gastric sleeve resection for patients with medically complicated obesity and end-stage liver disease. American Journal of Transplantation. 2013;13:363.
- Murad SD, et al. Long-term clinical and radiological follow up of living liver donors. Liver Transplantation. In press. Accessed May 11, 2016.
- Murad SD, et al. Predictors of pretransplant dropout and posttransplant recurrence in patients with perihilar cholangiocarcinoma. Hepatology. 2012;56:973.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. About your child's liver transplant. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2009.
- Rizvi S, et al. Primary sclerosing cholangitis as a premalignant biliary tract disease: Surveillance and management. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 2015;13:2152.
- Taner T, et al. Decreased chronic cellular and antibody-mediated injury in the kidney following simultaneous liver-kidney transplantation. Kidney International. 2016;89:909.
- Watt KD, et al. A practical guide to the management of HCV infection following liver transplantation. American Journal of Transplantation. 2009;9:1707.
- Rosen CB, et al. Liver transplantation for cholangiocarcinoma. Transplant International. 2010;23:692.
- Raichlin E, et al. Combined heart and liver transplantation: A single-center experience. Transplantation. 2009;88:219.
- Nagourney E. 'Domino' transplants: Rare and risky. The New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2000/05/02/health/domino-transplants-rare-and-risky.html. Accessed May 12, 2016.
- Kitchens WH. Domino liver transplantation: Indications, techniques, and outcomes. Transplantation Reviews. 2011;25:167.
- Yu Y, et al. Cell therapies for liver diseases. Liver Transplantation. 2012;18:9.
- Croome KP, et al. The use of donation after cardiac death allografts does not increase recurrence of hepatocellular carcinoma. American Journal of Transplantation. 2015;15:2704.
- De Assuncao TM, et al. Development and characterization of human-induced pluripotent stem cell-derived cholangiocytes. Laboratory Investigation. 2015;95:684.
- Riggin EA. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 15, 2016.
- Brown AY. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 22, 2016.
- Cook AJ. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 2, 2014.
- Krowka MJ, et al. International Liver Transplant Society practice guidelines: Diagnosis and management of hepatopulmonary syndrome and portopulmonary hypertension. Transplantation. 2016;100:1440.
- Patel K, et al. FibroSURE and FibroScan in relation to treatment response in chronic hepatitis C virus. World Journal of Gastroenterology. 2011;17:4581.
- Singh S, et al. Magnetic resonance elastography for staging liver fibrosis in non-alcoholic fatty liver disease: A diagnostic accuracy systematic review and individual participant data pooled analysis. European Radiology. 2016;26:1431.
- Han L, et al. Extracorporeal liver support and liver transplant for patients with acute-on-chronic liver failure. Seminars in Liver Disease. 2016;36:153. https://www.thieme-connect.de/products/ejournals/html/10.1055/s-0036-1583197. Accessed June 29, 2016.
- Gallagher C. Transplant genomics enters collaboration with Mayo Clinic (news release). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 27, 2016.
- Heilman RL (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Phoenix/Scottsdale, Ariz. June 24, 2016.