In most cases, Paget's disease of bone progresses slowly. The disease can be managed effectively in nearly all people. Possible complications include:
Feb. 13, 2013
- Fractures. Bones affected by Paget's disease break more easily. Extra blood vessels are created in these deformed bones, so they bleed more during repair surgeries.
- Osteoarthritis. Misshapen bones can increase the amount of stress on nearby joints, which can cause osteoarthritis.
- Heart failure. Unusually extensive Paget's disease may force your heart to work harder to pump blood to the affected areas of your body. In people with pre-existing heart disease, this increased workload can lead to heart failure.
- Bone cancer. Bone cancer occurs in less than 1 percent of people with Paget's disease.
- Paget's disease of bone. National Institutes of Health Osteoporosis and Related Bone Diseases: National Resource Center. http://www.niams.nih.gov/health_info/Pagets/default.asp. Accessed Dec. 11. 2012.
- Goldman L, et al. Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/191371208-2/0/1492/0.html#. Accessed Dec. 11, 2012.
- Paget's disease of bone. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00076. Accessed Dec. 11, 2012.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2013: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-08373-7..00002-9&isbn=978-0-323-08373-7&about=true&uniqId=343863096-23. Accessed Dec. 11, 2012.
- Seton M. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of Paget disease of bone. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Dec. 11, 2012.
- Firestein GS, et al. Kelley's Textbook of Rheumatology. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1807/0.html. Accessed Dec. 11, 2012.
- Seton M. Treatment of Paget disease of bone. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Dec. 11, 2012.
- Nippoldt TB (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 14, 2013.
- Rosen HN. Bisphosphonates in the management of osteoporosis in postmenopausal women. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Jan. 15, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.