While you may initially consult your family physician, he or she may refer you to a specialist, depending on which of your organ systems is affected by the infection. For example, a dermatologist specializes in skin conditions, while a cardiologist treats heart disorders.
What you can do
Before your appointment, you might want to write a list that includes:
- Detailed descriptions of your symptoms
- Information about medical problems you've had
- Information about the medical problems of your parents or siblings
- All the medications and dietary supplements you take
- Questions you want to ask the doctor
What to expect from your doctor
During your physical exam, your doctor will closely examine any skin lesions you may have. He or she might take a sample of tissue or liquid from the lesions for testing.
Nov. 13, 2012
- Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) infections. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/mrsa/index.html. Accessed July 17, 2012.
- Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA). National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. http://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/antimicrobialresistance/examples/mrsa/Pages/default.aspx. Accessed July 18, 2012.
- Wolff K, et al. Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine.7th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2008. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=505. Accessed July 17, 2012.
- Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Online. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=4. Accessed July 17, 2012.
- Understanding antimicrobial (drug) resistance. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. http://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/antimicrobialresistance/understanding/Pages/default.asp. Accessed July 18, 2012.
- Anderson DJ. Epidemiology of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infection in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed July 18, 2012.
- Lowy FD. Treatment of invasive methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infections in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed July 18, 2012.
- Harris A. Prevention and control of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed July 18, 2012.