DefinitionBy Mayo Clinic Staff
Milk allergy, one of the most common food allergies in children, is an abnormal response by the body's immune system to milk and products containing milk. Cow's milk is the usual cause, but milk from sheep, goats, buffalo and other mammals also can cause a reaction.
An allergic reaction usually occurs minutes to hours after consuming milk. Signs and symptoms of milk allergy range from mild to severe and can include wheezing, vomiting, hives and digestive problems. Sometimes, milk allergy can cause anaphylaxis — a severe, life-threatening reaction.
Avoidance is the primary treatment for milk allergy. Fortunately, most children outgrow a milk allergy. Those who don't outgrow it may need to continue to avoid milk products.
Aug. 07, 2014
- Jarvinen-Seppo KM. Milk allergy: Clinical features and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 2, 2014.
- Jarvinen-Seppo KM. Milk allergy: Management. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 2, 2014.
- Milk allergy. American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. http://www.acaai.org/allergist/allergies/Types/food-allergies/types/Pages/milk-allergy.aspx. Accessed April 2, 2014.
- Milk allergy. Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America. http://www.aafa.org/display.cfm?id=9&sub=20&cont=516. Accessed April 2, 2014.
- Food protein-induced enterocolitis syndrome (FPIES). American Academy of Allergy Asthma & Immunology. http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/library/allergy-library/food-protein-induced-enterocolitis-syndrome.aspx. Access March 31, 2014.
- Milk allergy. Food Allergy Research and Education. http://www.foodallergy.org/allergens/milk-allergy. Accessed April 2, 2014.
- Anaphylaxis. American Academy of Allergy Asthma & Immunology. http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/allergies/anaphylaxis.aspxAnaphylasis. Accessed March 26, 2014.
- Food allergies. Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America. https://www.aafa.org/display.cfm?id=9&sub=20&cont=286. Accessed March 30, 2014.
- Food allergy: An overview. The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. http://www.niaid.nih.gov/_LAYOUTS/NIAID.Internet.Controls/SearchResults.aspx?getfields=description&q=food%20allergy%20overview. Accessed April 2, 2014.