- Experience. Each year, Mayo Clinic specialists treat thousands of people with liver disease. All Mayo campuses have transplant centers, where Mayo surgeons have performed more than 5,000 liver transplants.
- Advanced diagnosis. Mayo Clinic researchers invented magnetic resonance elastography, a noninvasive test that maps hardening of the liver. Precise diagnosis of liver disease is important to guiding treatment.
- Surgical expertise. Mayo Clinic liver transplant surgeons use state-of-the-art technology. Transplant outcomes compare favorably with the national average.
- New ideas. Mayo Clinic researchers are studying ways to improve diagnosis and treatment of liver disease. You have access to the expertise of Mayo's clinician-researchers.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., ranks No. 1 for digestive disorders in the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals rankings. Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., are ranked among the Best Hospitals for digestive disorders by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic also ranks among the Best Children's Hospitals for digestive disorders.
July 15, 2014
- Curry MP, et al. Hepatomegaly: Differential diagnosis and evaluation. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 25, 2014.
- Goldman L, et al. Goldman's Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 25, 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. When should cirrhosis be suspected? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Friedman LS. Approach to the patient with abnormal liver biochemical and function tests. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 25, 2014.
- Woreta TA, et al. Evaluation of abnormal liver tests. Medical Clinics of North America. 2014;98:1.
- AskMayoExpert. What is magnetic resonance elastography (MRE) and what are the indications for an MRE examination? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Feldman M, et al. Sleisenger & Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 25, 2014.
- Larson AM. Hepatotoxicity due to herbal medications and dietary supplements. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 25, 2014.
- Viral hepatitis: A through E and beyond. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/viralhepatitis/index.aspx. Accessed March 25, 2014.