The chances of developing histoplasmosis symptoms increase with the number of spores you inhale. Professions with a higher likelihood of spore exposure include:
- Pest control workers
- Poultry keepers
- Construction workers
- Landscapers and gardeners
- Cave explorers
Most at risk of severe infection
Very young children and older adults have weaker immune systems, so they're more likely to develop disseminated histoplasmosis — the most serious form of the disease. Other factors that can weaken your immune system include:
Jan. 08, 2015
- HIV or AIDS
- Intensive cancer chemotherapy
- Corticosteroid drugs, such as prednisone
- TNF inhibitors, often used to control rheumatoid arthritis
- Medications that prevent rejection of organ transplants
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2015: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2015. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Nov. 30, 2014.
- Information for healthcare professionals about histoplasmosis. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/fungal/diseases/histoplasmosis/health-professionals.html. Accessed Nov. 30, 2014.
- Histoplasmosis: Protecting workers at risk. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/2005-109. Accessed Nov. 30, 2014.
- Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Online. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=4. Accessed Nov. 30, 2014.
- Who gets histoplasmosis? Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/fungal/diseases/histoplasmosis/risk-prevention.html. Accessed Nov. 30, 2014.
- Mason RJ, et al. Murray and Nadel's Textbook of Respiratory Medicine. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Nov. 30, 2014.
- What is ARDS? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/ards. Accessed Dec. 2, 2014.
- Wheat J, et al. Diagnosis and treatment of pulmonary histoplasmosis. http://www.uptodate.com. Accessed Nov. 30, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.