Because many of the signs and symptoms of fibromyalgia are similar to various other disorders, you may see several doctors before receiving a diagnosis. Your family physician may refer you to a doctor who specializes in the treatment of arthritis and other similar conditions (rheumatologist).
What you can do
Before your appointment, you may want to write a list that includes:
- Detailed descriptions of your symptoms
- Information about medical problems you've had in the past
- Information about the medical problems of your parents or siblings
- All the medications and dietary supplements you take
- Questions you want to ask the doctor
What to expect from your doctor
In addition to a physical exam, your doctor will probably ask you if you have problems sleeping and if you've been feeling depressed or anxious.
Aug. 11, 2017
- Fibromyalgia. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Fibromyalgia/default.asp. Accessed Oct. 19, 2016.
- Clauw DJ, et al. Fibromyalgia and related conditions. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2015;90:680.
- Goldenberg DL. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of fibromyalgia in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 19, 2016.
- Goldenberg DL. Initial treatment of fibromyalgia in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 19, 2016.
- AskMayoExpert. Fibromyalgia. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.
- Goldenberg DL. Pathogenesis of fibromyalgia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 19, 2016.
- Goldenberg DL. Treatment of fibromyalgia in adults not responsive to initial therapies. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 19, 2016.
- Fibromyalgia. National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health. https://nccih.nih.gov/health/fibromyalgia. Accessed Oct. 19, 2016.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Fibromyalgia: The road to wellness. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Fleming KC (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 10, 2017.