Diabetic ketoacidosis is a life-threatening medical condition. If you develop mild signs and symptoms, contact your doctor immediately.
Call 911 or your local emergency number if:
- You can't reach your doctor
- Your symptoms are getting worse
- Your symptoms are already severe
A medical provider who sees you for possible diabetic ketoacidosis will need answers to these questions as quickly as possible:
Oct. 23, 2012
- What are your signs and symptoms?
- When did these signs and symptoms develop? Are they getting worse?
- Have you been diagnosed with diabetes?
- Have you recently checked your blood sugar level?
- Have you recently checked your ketone level?
- Have you lost your appetite?
- Are you able to keep fluids down?
- Are you having trouble breathing?
- Do you have chest pain?
- Have you had illness or infections in the time leading up to these symptoms?
- Have you experienced any stress or trauma in the time leading up to these symptoms?
- Did you use alcohol or recreational drugs in the time leading up to these symptoms?
- How closely have you been following your diabetes treatment plan?
- How well would you say your diabetes has been managed in the time leading up to these symptoms?
- Ketoacidosis (DKA). American Diabetes Association. http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/complications/ketoacidosis-dka.html. Accessed July 3, 2012.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2013: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-08373-7..C2010-0-68318-0&isbn=978-0-323-08373-7&uniqId=343834918-3#4-u1.0-B978-0-323-08373-7..C2010-0-68318-0--TOP. Accessed July 3, 2012.
- Kitabchi A, et al. Hyperglycemic crises in adult patients with diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2009;32:1335.
- Siafarikas A, et al. Type 1 diabetes in children: Emergency management. Australian Family Physician. 2010;39:290.
- Usher-Smith JA, et al. Factors associated with the presence of diabetic ketoacidosis at diagnosis of diabetes in children and young adults: A systematic review. British Medical Journal. 2011;343:d4092.
- Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Online. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=9141196. Accessed July 3, 2012.
- McPhee SJ, et al. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2012. 51st ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=15524. Accessed July 3, 2012.
- Checking for ketones. American Diabetes Association. http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/treatment-and-care/blood-glucose-control/checking-for-ketones.html. Accessed July 3, 2012.
- Castro MR (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 6, 2012.