Lifestyle and home remediesBy Mayo Clinic Staff
Once you receive treatment for deep vein thrombosis you need to watch your diet and look for signs of excessive bleeding, as well as take steps to help prevent another DVT. Some things you can do include:
July 03, 2014
- Check in with your doctor regularly to see if your medication or treatments need to be modified. If you're taking warfarin (Coumadin, Jantoven), you'll need a blood test to see how well your blood is clotting.
- Take your blood thinners as directed. If you've had DVT, you'll be on blood thinners for at least three to six months.
- Watch how much vitamin K you're eating if you are taking warfarin. Vitamin K can affect how warfarin works. Green leafy vegetables are high in vitamin K. Check with your doctor or a dietitian about your diet if you're taking warfarin.
- Be on the lookout for excessive bleeding, which can be a side effect of taking medications such as blood thinners. Talk to your doctor about activities that could cause you to bruise or get cut, as even a minor injury could become serious if you're taking blood thinners.
- Move. If you've been on bed rest, because of surgery or other factors, the sooner you get moving, the less likely blood clots will develop.
- Wear compression stockings to help prevent blood clots in the legs if your doctor recommends them.
- Deep vein thrombosis. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/dvt/. Accessed April 1, 2014.
- Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Online. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=4. Accessed April 2, 2014.
- Focus on blood clots. Vascular Disease Foundation. http://vasculardisease.org/deep-vein-thrombosis-venous-disease/ (http://vasculardisease.org/flyers/focus-on-blood-clots-flyer.pdf). Accessed April 1, 2014.
- DVT/PE Facts. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/dvt/facts.html. Accessed April 5, 2014.
- Xarelto (prescribing information). Titusville, N.J.: Janssen Pharmaceuticals Inc. 2011. http://www.xarelto.com. Accessed April 1, 2014.
- Lip GY, et al. Treatment of lower extremity deep vein thrombosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 2, 2014.
- McBane RD (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 24, 2014.