Careful planning and steering clear of asthma triggers are the best ways to prevent asthma attacks.
Mar. 05, 2013
- Limit exposure to asthma triggers. Be proactive in helping your child avoid the allergens and irritants that trigger asthma symptoms.
- Don't allow smoking around your child. Exposure to tobacco smoke during infancy is a strong risk factor for childhood asthma, as well as a common trigger of asthma attacks.
- Encourage your child to be active. As long as your child's asthma is well controlled, regular physical activity can condition the lungs to work more efficiently.
- See the doctor when necessary. Check in on a regular basis. Don't ignore signs that your child's asthma may not be under control, such as needing to use a quick-relief inhaler too often. Asthma changes over time. Consulting your child's doctor can help you make any needed treatment adjustments to keep symptoms under control.
- Kliegman RM, et al. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1608/0.html. Accessed Nov. 27, 2012.
- Childhood asthma: Tips to remember. American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/library/at-a-glance/childhood-asthma.aspx. Accessed Nov. 27, 2012.
- Expert panel report 3 (EPR-3): Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of asthma. Bethesda, Md.: National Institutes of Health. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/asthma/06_sec3_comp3.pdf. Accessed Nov. 27, 2012.
- Krystofova J, et al. Bronchial asthma and obesity in childhood. Acta Medica. 2011;54:102.
- Hay WW, et al. Current Diagnosis & Treatment: Pediatrics. 20th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=14. Accessed Nov. 27, 2012.
- Bacherier LB, et al. Diagnosis and management of early asthma in pre-school aged children. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 2012;130:287.
- Childhood asthma. Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America. http://www.aafa.org/print.cfm?id=8&sub=16&cont=44. Accessed Nov. 27, 2012.
- Young C. Avoiding asthma triggers: A primer for patients. Journal of the American Osteopathic Association. 2011;111:S30.
- Bukutu C, et al. Asthma: A review of complementary and alternative therapies. Pediatrics in Review. 2008;29:e44.
- Torres-Llenza V, et al. Use of complementary and alternative medicine in children with asthma. Canadian Respiratory Journal. 2010;17:183.
- Li JTC (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 29, 2012.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.