It depends on the type of coffee you drink. A plain cup of brewed coffee has only 2 calories — and no fat. But if you dress up your coffee with extras, whether at home or your favorite coffee shop, you also add extra calories.
See how many calories 1 tablespoon of these extras can add to your coffee:
- Heavy whipping cream: 52 calories
- Table sugar: 49 calories
- Half-and-half: 20 calories
- Fat-free milk: 5 calories
When you're at your local coffee shop, check out the nutrition information before you order. Some coffee drinks are more like dessert and can have hundreds of calories. Occasional indulgence is fine. But remember that when it comes to weight loss, all calories count — even calories in liquid form.
Mar. 08, 2014
See more Expert Answers
- USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, Release 26. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service. http://ndb.nal.usda.gov. Accessed Jan. 9, 2014.
- Zeratsky KA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 1, 2014.
- Coffee Frappuccino blended beverage. Starbucks.com. http://www.starbucks.com/menu/drinks. Accessed Jan. 9, 2014.