Caring Canines is a formal animal-assisted activities program launched in September 2011 at both the Phoenix and Scottsdale campuses of Mayo Clinic.
The program seeks specially trained and certified dogs to provide companionship and comfort to radiation oncology patients at Mayo Clinic.
To be eligible for Caring Canines:
- Handlers must be at least 21 years old
- Handlers and the dogs must be currently certified by Pet Partners at a "complex" rating
- Dogs must be up to date on mandatory vaccinations:
- Bordetella (kennel cough)
- Distemper, hepatitis and parvovirus
- Most recent fecal exam showing negative for parasite ova
To apply for Caring Canines, complete and submit the online application. After you submit your completed application, certifications and vaccination records, Mayo Clinic Services will contact you to schedule an interview for you and your dog.
Contact Mayo Clinic Volunteer Services.
July 04, 2017