Mayo Clinic works with hundreds of insurance companies and is an in-network provider for millions of people.
In most cases, Mayo Clinic doesn't require a physician referral. Some insurers require referrals, or may have additional requirements for certain medical care. All appointments are prioritized on the basis of medical need.
Learn more about appointments at Mayo Clinic.
Please contact your insurance company to verify medical coverage and to obtain any needed authorization prior to your visit. Often, your insurer's customer service number is printed on the back of your insurance card.
Aug. 15, 2017
- Spinal fusion. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://www.orthoinfo.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00348. Accessed July 8, 2015.
- Chou R. Subacute and chronic low-back pain: Surgical treatment. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 8, 2015.
- Herkowitz HN, et al. Principles of bone fusion. In: Rothman-Simeone The Spine. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 8, 2015.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Spine Surgery. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Ask Mayo Expert. Cervical spine surgery. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- McMahon SB, et al. Surgery for back and neck pain (including radiculopathies). In: Wall & Melzack's Textbook of Pain. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 21, 2015.
- Canale ST, et al. Arthrodesis of the spine. In: Campbell's Operative Orthopaedics. 12th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 22, 2015.
- Bridwell KH, et al. What's new in spine surgery? Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. 2015;97:1022.
- Huddleston PM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota. Oct. 12, 2015.
- Riggin ER. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 23, 2015.