Negative HIV test results
A negative test result from HIV testing may mean one of two things: You don't have HIV, or it's too soon yet to tell.
If you were only recently exposed to HIV, you could test negative for HIV antibodies because your body hasn't had time to create them yet. You may want to be retested for HIV antibodies in a few months or opt for one of the early-detection tests.
Positive HIV test results
Although there's no cure for HIV/AIDS, treatment has come a long way in the past few decades, offering extended and improved quality of life for many. If HIV is well-treated, infected people can have a near-normal life expectancy. Early treatment can help you stay well and delay the onset of AIDS. Tell your partners if you test positive for HIV because they will need to be evaluated and possibly treated, as well.
Aug. 03, 2017
- HIV test types. AIDS.gov. https://www.aids.gov/hiv-aids-basics/prevention/hiv-testing/hiv-test-types/. Accessed Jan. 2, 2017.
- Laboratory testing for the diagnosis of HIV infection: Updated recommendations. National Center for HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/testing/laboratorytests.html. Accessed Jan. 2, 2017.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, et al. Revised recommendations for HIV testing of adults, adolescents, and pregnant women in health-care settings. MMWR. 2006;55:1. https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5514a1.htm. Accessed Jan. 2, 2017.
- HIV overview. National Institutes of Health. https://aidsinfo.nih.gov/education-materials/fact-sheets/19/45/hiv-aids--the-basics. Accessed Jan. 2, 2017.
- Bartlett JG. Screening and diagnostic testing for HIV infection. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 2, 2017.
- HIV infection and AIDS. American Association for Clinical Chemistry. https://labtestsonline.org/understanding/conditions/hiv/. Accessed Jan. 2, 2017.
- HIV antibody and HIV antigen (p24). American Association for Clinical Chemistry. https://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/hiv-antibody/tab/test/. Accessed Jan. 2, 2017.
- HIV/AIDS: Testing. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/basics/testing.html. Accessed Jan. 2, 2017.