Mayo Clinic's approach
Mayo Clinic has one of the largest electrophysiology practices. Heart specialists (cardiologists) with special training in heart rhythm disorders (electrophysiologists) work in the Electrophysiology Laboratory.
- Collaborative approach. Electrophysiologists work closely with other doctors, including cardiologists and cardiac surgeons, in the Heart Rhythm Clinic to understand your heart condition and recommend the treatment options that will work best for you. This team approach helps ensure that you receive personalized, quality care.
- Expertise in all arrhythmias, including rare and complex types. Mayo Clinic doctors use EP studies to diagnose and treat a variety of atrial and ventricular arrhythmias, including those that are very rare and difficult to treat.
Advanced technology. Mayo Clinic doctors performing EP studies use the most advanced technology to understand your condition and guide treatment decisions.
Advanced mapping systems, including multielectrode mapping and 3D heart mapping, are used during cardiac ablation procedures. These innovative techniques help your care team accurately determine where to apply the heat (radiofrequency energy) or cold (cryoablation) treatments to correct abnormal heartbeats.
Expertise and rankings
Mayo Clinic offers one of the largest groups of electrophysiologists trained in performing EP studies and related procedures, such as cardiac ablation.
The Electrophysiology Laboratory at Mayo Clinic's campuses in Arizona and Florida treats adults with arrhythmias. Doctors trained in treating children with heart conditions (pediatric cardiologists) provide care for children with arrhythmias at Mayo Clinic's campus in Rochester, Minnesota.
Nationally recognized expertise
Mayo Clinic campuses are nationally recognized for expertise in cardiology and cardiovascular surgery:
- Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., is ranked among the Best Hospitals for heart and heart surgery by U.S. News & World Report.
- Mayo Clinic Children's Center in Rochester, Minn., is ranked among the Best Children's Hospitals for heart and heart surgery by U.S. News & World Report.
- Mayo Clinic in Phoenix/Scottsdale, Ariz., is ranked among the Best Hospitals for heart and heart surgery by U.S. News & World Report.
With Mayo Clinic's emphasis on collaborative care, specialists at each of the campuses — Minnesota, Arizona and Florida — interact very closely with colleagues at the other campuses and the Mayo Clinic Health System.
Learn more about Mayo Clinic's expertise and rankings in cardiovascular diseases.
Locations, travel and lodging
Mayo Clinic has major campuses in Phoenix and Scottsdale, Arizona; Jacksonville, Florida; and Rochester, Minnesota. The Mayo Clinic Health System has dozens of locations in several states.
For more information on visiting Mayo Clinic, choose your location below:
Costs and insurance
Mayo Clinic works with hundreds of insurance companies and is an in-network provider for millions of people.
In most cases, Mayo Clinic doesn't require a physician referral. Some insurers require referrals, or may have additional requirements for certain medical care. All appointments are prioritized on the basis of medical need.
Learn more about appointments at Mayo Clinic.
Please contact your insurance company to verify medical coverage and to obtain any needed authorization prior to your visit. Often, your insurer's customer service number is printed on the back of your insurance card.