Vaginal dryness affects many women, although they frequently don't bring up the topic with their doctors.
If vaginal dryness affects your lifestyle, in particular your sex life and relationship with your partner, consider making an appointment with your doctor. Living with uncomfortable vaginal dryness doesn't have to be part of getting older.
Dec. 04, 2020
Get the latest health advice from Mayo Clinic delivered
to your inbox.
Sign up for free, and stay up-to-date on research
advancements, health tips and current health topics,
like COVID-19, plus expert advice on managing your health.
ErrorEmail field is required
ErrorInclude a valid email address
To provide you with the most relevant and helpful information and to understand which
is beneficial, we may combine your e-mail and website usage information with other
information we have about you. If you are a Mayo Clinic Patient,
this could include Protected Health Information (PHI). If we combine this information
with your PHI, we will treat all of that information as PHI,
and will only use or disclose that information as set forth in our notice of privacy
practices. You may opt-out of e-mail communications
at any time by clicking on the Unsubscribe link in the e-mail.
Thank you for Subscribing
Our Housecall e-newsletter will keep you up-to-date
on the latest health information.
We’re sorry! Our system isn’t working. Please try again.
Something went wrong on our side, please try again.
- Bachmann G, et al. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of genitourinary syndrome of menopause (vulvovaginal atrophy). https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed Nov. 5, 2020.
- AskMayoExpert. Genitourinary syndrome of menopause (adult). Mayo Clinic; 2019.
- Hoffman BL, et al. Benign disorders of the lower reproductive tract. In: Williams Gynecology. 4th ed. McGraw Hill; 2020. https://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com. Accessed Nov. 5, 2020.
- Ferri FF. Sjogren syndrome. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2021. Elsevier; 2021. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Nov. 5, 2020.
- Peterson ZD. Treating sexual problems in aging adults. In: The Wiley Handbook of Sex Therapy. John Wiley & Sons; 2017.
- Kingsberg SA, et al. Female sexual health: Barriers to optimal outcomes and a roadmap for improved patient-clinician communications. Journal of Women's Health. 2019; doi:10.1089/jwh.2018.7352.