Understanding your Mayo Clinic bill
For services in Rochester, Minnesota, prior to May 5, 2018, or in Arizona or Florida prior to October 6, 2018, the billing account number on the statement is the Mayo Clinic number of the person assigned to receive the bill. The billing addressee (guarantor) is the person designated to receive the monthly billing statement listing all patients and visits for which he or she is financially responsible. The itemized statement of charges available to you online after each visit will clarify the new charges listed on the monthly statement of account.
For services in Rochester on or after May 5, 2018, and in Arizona or Florida on or after October 6, 2018, the guarantor ID on the statement is the billing account number. The addressee is the person designated to receive the monthly billing statement listing all patients and accounts for which that person is financially responsible. A one-time summary of itemization of any new self-pay balances appears on the monthly statement after insurance pays. The itemized statement of charges you receive after each visit will clarify the new charges listed on the monthly statement of account.
The monthly statement of account includes these important features:
- Account Activity. This is the summary of new charges and detail of payments and adjustments made on each visit since the previous monthly statement.
- Insurance Claims Pending. This is a summary of the amount under consideration by your insurance company.
- Insurance Payments Received. This is a summary of the payments received by your insurance company.
- Payment Plan Summary. This is a summary of the current payment arrangement in place for your account.
- Personal Payments Received. This is a summary of the payments received by you.
- Current Amount Due. This is your total balance minus any amount listed in the insurance claims pending due for services provided at Mayo Clinic.
Your monthly statement shows all current activity on your account for the last 30 days. Previous activity, such as payments or adjustments made beyond 30 days, will be on prior monthly statements.
- Each monthly statement has multiple pages. Please review all pages for a breakdown of current account activity.
- Each date of service at Mayo Clinic with current activity or a balance will be displayed on the statement.
- Activity displayed includes what is pending with insurance, payments from insurance, payments you have made in the last 30 days and any adjustments taken in the last 30 days.
- If a balance exists for a visit or on an account, and the insurance company has sent payment to you, please forward payment in a timely manner.
- Payment checks from the insurance company can be forwarded to Mayo Clinic using one of the following options:
- Deposit the insurance payment check into a personal account and make a personal payment to Mayo Clinic online or include with the payment slip and envelope provided.
- Payment checks from the insurance company can be signed over to "Mayo Clinic" and included with the payment slip and envelope provided.
- Understanding your online Itemized Statement of Charges (PDF) for Rochester visits prior to May 5, 2018, and for Arizona or Florida visits prior to October 6, 2018
- Understanding your Itemized Statement of Charges (PDF) for Rochester visits on or after May 5, 2018, and for Arizona or Florida visits on or after October 6, 2018
- Your itemized statement is not a bill; it is a listing of services provided for a specific date of service.
- An itemized statement for each visit, account or date of service for which you are seen at Mayo Clinic is available through your Patient Online Services account.
- If you do not use Patient Online Services you will need to contact Patient Account Services to request a copy of the Itemized Statement of Charges. If you want to create a Patient Online Services account, click here.
- The itemized statement of charges includes the following information:
- Mayo Clinic account ID
- Patient name
- Date of service
- Location of service
- Quantity and charge amount
- Current Procedural Terminology billing codes
- Procedure Description
- International Classification of Diseases (ICD)-10 codes
- Identification of and information concerning your insurance company, if applicable
- Mayo Clinic will file a claim with your insurance company using the exact information found on your itemized statement.
- It is always a good idea to review each new itemized statement to ensure it accurately reflects the care you received and that the insurance Mayo Clinic has on file is correct.
Itemized hospital charges
Extensive, specific details of hospital services will not be listed on Mayo Clinic's itemized statement of charges or the monthly statement of account. To view itemized hospital charges, use Mayo Clinic Patient Online Services.
Alternatively, you may call Patient Account Services during business hours: