COVID-19 Research and Clinical Funds
Mayo Clinic is on the front line, leading the fight against COVID-19. Our distinct combination of research, education and clinical practice has helped us quickly improve testing and get the best treatment protocols to the bedside as soon as possible.
Mayo is sharing our unique expertise with others to help the world respond to the COVID-19 pandemic. We have decades of experience planning for and responding to pandemics, including other coronaviruses such as severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) and Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS).
Key components of Mayo Clinic's ongoing plan to address the COVID-19 pandemic include:
Expanded Testing: In response to urgent national needs, Mayo has developed COVID-19 testing that includes:
- A diagnostic test that identifies an active infection.
- A serologic test that determines whether a person has been infected and recovered from COVID-19 by detecting the presence of antibodies specific to the virus.
- A neutralizing antibody test that measures the level of neutralizing antibodies against SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. Neutralizing antibodies are a subset of antibodies able to independently inactivate viruses, and are associated with protective immunity against re-infection for many infectious pathogens.
Convalescent Plasma Therapy: Mayo Clinic led our nation’s coordinated access to investigational convalescent plasma for hospitalized patients with severe or life-threatening COVID-19, or those at high risk of progression to severe or life-threatening disease.
Biobanking: Using Mayo Clinic's world-class biorepositories and biospecimen processing and storage, we are quickly able to collect biobanking samples to support research on the science of the SARS-CoV-2.
Epidemiology and Artificial Intelligence: Mayo Clinic is designing epidemiological and artificial intelligence research to identify and predict disease clusters in our communities.
Trials and Studies: Mayo's large and proven clinical trials infrastructure has allowed us to quickly design and initiate COVID-19 trials.
Vaccine Development: We're investigating several different vaccine candidates building on previous work with infectious diseases and emerging pathogens.
A Call to Action
Our goal is to develop and study the best science to fight COVID-19 for our patients, our families and the world. Philanthropic gifts directed to two funds empower Mayo Clinic to continue its work in this pandemic.
- The COVID-19 Research Fund is accelerating COVID-19 and related virus-targeted research, vaccine development and gene therapies.
- The COVID-19 Clinical Fund advances our testing capabilities and overall response to COVID-19 to help patients everywhere get the best care possible.
As we rapidly respond and move further along the spectrum from "diagnose and treat" to "cure and prevent," philanthropic support is imperative in our ability to deliver on this vision. Together, we will confront this pandemic and protect against future outbreaks. Give today.