For most people, cardioversion can quickly restore a regular heartbeat. It's possible you'll need repeat procedures to keep a normal heart rhythm.
To keep your heart healthy, you may need to make lifestyle changes that improve the overall health of your heart, especially to prevent or treat conditions that can cause arrhythmias, such as high blood pressure. Your doctor may suggest that you:
- Avoid or limit caffeine and alcohol.
- Use less salt (sodium), which can help lower blood pressure.
- Increase your physical activity.
- Quit smoking.
- Eat heart-healthy foods and maintain a healthy weight.
- Try to limit or manage stress and anger.