It is very important that your doctor check your or your child's progress closely while you are receiving this medicine. This will allow your doctor to see if the medicine is working properly and to decide if you should continue to receive it. Blood tests may be needed to check for unwanted effects.
This medicine may cause a rare, but serious blood problem called methemoglobinemia. The risk may be increased in children younger than 6 months of age, elderly patients, or patients with certain inborn defects. It is more likely to occur in patients receiving too much of the medicine, but can also occur with small amounts. Check with your doctor right away if you or your child has the following symptoms after receiving this medicine: pale, gray, or blue-colored skin, lips, or nails, confusion, headache, lightheadedness, fast heartbeat, or unusual tiredness or weakness.
Call your dentist or doctor right away if you or your child have stuffy or runny nose, mild nose bleeds, dizziness, or trouble swallowing after receiving this medicine.
This medicine may cause serious allergic reactions, including anaphylaxis, which can be life-threatening and require immediate medical attention. Tell your dentist or doctor right away if you or your child have a rash, itching, trouble breathing or swallowing, or any swelling of your hands, face, or mouth while you are receiving this medicine.
Avoid using other products containing oxymetazoline (eg, Afrin®) within 24 hours before the scheduled dental procedure. Do not use other inhaled medicines while using Kovanaze™.
Do not take other medicines unless they have been discussed with your doctor. This includes prescription or nonprescription (over-the-counter [OTC]) medicines and herbal or vitamin supplements.