Spinal cord injury care at Mayo Clinic
Your Mayo Clinic care team. Mayo Clinic doctors and staff have helped thousands of people recover from spinal cord injuries and diseases. Mayo Clinic's spinal cord injury team is led by doctors trained in brain and nervous system disorders (neurologists), brain and nervous system surgery (neurosurgeons), nerve and muscle physiology and rehabilitation (physiatrists), and bone and muscle surgery (orthopedic surgeons).
Your treatment team also includes nurses; psychologists; social workers; physical, occupational and recreational therapists; and Mayo's many other specialists as your situation requires.
- Advanced technology. Mayo Clinic staff use advanced technology in diagnostic tests and treatments, including locomotor training, functional electrical stimulation, diaphragm pacing and other options.
- Individualized care. You and your Mayo Clinic care team will create a treatment plan to meet your needs and achieve your goals. You and your family are an integral part of the treatment team involved in making decisions, setting treatment goals and planning your discharge arrangements.
- Lifelong follow-up care. Mayo Clinic doctors trained in physical medicine and rehabilitation and other staff offer a full range of spinal cord injury rehabilitation services, from intensive hospital care to continued care through your lifetime. Your spinal cord injury rehabilitation team provides inpatient rehabilitation, outpatient rehabilitation and lifelong care.
Expertise and rankings
- Experience. Every year, more than 73,000 people receive care for spinal cord injuries and diseases from doctors and other health professionals at Mayo Clinic.
- Pediatric expertise. The Pediatric Rehabilitation Program offers specialists trained in physical medicine and rehabilitation who care for children with spinal cord injuries at Mayo Clinic's campus in Rochester, Minnesota.
- Nationally recognized expertise. The Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) has accredited the Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation Program at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, is ranked among the Best Hospitals for neurology and neurosurgery, for orthopedics, and for rehabilitation by U.S. News & World Report.
Learn more about Mayo Clinic's neurology and neurosurgery departments' expertise and rankings.
Locations, travel and lodging
Mayo Clinic has major campuses in Phoenix and Scottsdale, Arizona; Jacksonville, Florida; and Rochester, Minnesota. The Mayo Clinic Health System has dozens of locations in several states.
For more information on visiting Mayo Clinic, choose your location below:
Costs and insurance
Mayo Clinic works with hundreds of insurance companies and is an in-network provider for millions of people.
In most cases, Mayo Clinic doesn't require a physician referral. Some insurers require referrals, or may have additional requirements for certain medical care. All appointments are prioritized on the basis of medical need.
Learn more about appointments at Mayo Clinic.
Please contact your insurance company to verify medical coverage and to obtain any needed authorization prior to your visit. Often, your insurer's customer service number is printed on the back of your insurance card.