Rhabdomyosarcoma (RMS) is a rare type of cancer that forms in soft tissue — specifically skeletal muscle tissue or sometimes hollow organs such as the bladder or uterus. RMS can occur at any age, but it most often affects children.
Although RMS can arise anywhere in the body, it's more likely to start in the:
- Head and neck area
- Urinary system, such as the bladder
- Reproductive system, such as the vagina, uterus and testes
- Arms and legs
The outlook (prognosis) and treatment decisions depend on the type of rhabdomyosarcoma, where it starts, tumor size and whether the cancer has spread. Treatment is usually with a combination of surgery, chemotherapy and radiation therapy.
Major advancements in the treatment of rhabdomyosarcoma have significantly improved outcomes. After completion of treatment, people need lifelong monitoring for potential late effects of intense chemotherapy and radiation.
Products & Services
Rhabdomyosarcoma care at Mayo Clinic
Feb. 26, 2020
- Goldblum JR, et al.. Rhabdomyosarcoma. In: Enzinger and Weiss's Soft Tissue Tumors. 7th ed. Elsevier; 2020. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 15, 2020.
- Niederhuber JE, et al., eds. Pediatric solid tumors. In: Abeloff's Clinical Oncology. 6th ed. Elsevier; 2020. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 15, 2020.
- Soft tissue sarcoma. National Comprehensive Cancer Network. https://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/default.aspx. Accessed Jan. 15, 2020.
- Childhood rhabdomyosarcoma treatment (PDQ). National Cancer Institute. https://www.cancer.gov/types/soft-tissue-sarcoma/hp/rhabdomyosarcoma-treatment-pdq. Accessed Jan. 16, 2020.
- Lupo PJ, et al. Family history of cancer and childhood rhabdomyosarcoma: A report from the Children's Oncology Group and the Utah Population Database. Cancer Medicine. 2015; doi:10.1002/cam4.448.
- Warner KJ. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic. July 18, 2019.
- NCCN member institutions. National Comprehensive Cancer Network. https://www.nccn.org/members/network.aspx. Accessed Jan. 20, 2020.
- Locations. Children's Oncology Group. https://www.childrensoncologygroup.org/index.php/locations. Accessed Jan. 20, 2020.
Products & Services