Daniel K. Partain, M.D. is a palliative care specialist with an interest in providing the best possible serious illness care for patients coming from religious/ethnic minority groups and international settings. His clinical focus includes:
- Forming partnerships with patients throughout their experience with serious illness.
- Helping patients live well with serious illness.
- Empowering patients to thoughtfully consider and articulate their goals, preferences, and values.
- Promoting healing through spiritual, emotional, social, and physical well-being.
- Providing expertise and collaborative recommendations for optimal care of complex pain syndromes.
In addition to his clinical activities, Dr. Partain is active in both research and teaching. He has authored several textbook chapters and has published multiple first author articles in high impact journals. He teaches residents and fellows with a particular interest in teaching communication skills, pain management, and cultural curiosity.
- Healthcare disparities in palliative care
- Serious illness care of international patients
- Cultural curiosity in palliative care
- Cancer pain management
- Interventional pain management
Mayo Clinic locations
Fellow - Hospice and Palliative MedicineHarvard Combined Fellowship Program
Resident - Internal MedicineMayo School of Graduate Medical Education, Mayo Clinic in Rochester
MDUniversity of Alabama School of Medicine
BS - Molecular Biology, Religious StudiesUniversity of Wisconsin-Madison
Activities and honors
Awards and honors
Senior Medical Resident Teacher AwardMayo Clinic School of Graduate Medical Education
Joseph D. Messler Endowed Fellowship in Internal MedicineMayo Clinic School of Graduate Medical Education
Abstract Achievement AwardAmerican Society of Hematology
William A. Curry Endowed Speaker AwardUniversity of Alabama at Birmingham
Gold Humanism Honor SocietyUniversity of Alabama at Birmingham
Honors in the Major of Molecular BiologyUniversity of Wisconsin-Madison
Phi Beta Kappa Honor SocietyUniversity of Wisconsin-Madison
- 2017 - 2018
MemberMassachusetts General Hospital
- 2015 - present
MemberAmerican Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine
- 2014 - present
MemberAmerican College of Physicians
- 2014 - present
MemberAmerican Medical Associaton