Mayo Clinic Care Network: Collaborating to enhance locally delivered care
The Mayo Clinic Care Network is a network of like-minded organizations that share a common commitment to improving the delivery of health care in their communities through high-quality, data-driven, evidence-based medical care.
Mayo Clinic is deeply committed to caring for all those who need hope and healing, but we recognize that not everyone wants or needs to travel to Mayo Clinic for care. Today, innovations in the delivery of care can ensure that people have access to Mayo Clinic medical expertise no matter where they live.
The Mayo Clinic Care Network uses technology and physician collaboration to deliver a full spectrum of medical expertise to communities across the country and throughout the world. Through the network, Mayo Clinic collaborates with local providers, complementing local expertise and providing additional peace of mind.
Benefits for members
Members of the Mayo Clinic Care Network have access to products and services that enhance the care they provide to patients. Physicians can easily consult directly with Mayo Clinic specialists. Members of the network remain independent. As they continue to focus on the communities they serve, they can develop a close working relationship with Mayo Clinic that can be shared with patients. The Mayo Clinic Care Network also offers regular seminars and symposia for leaders and staff of member organizations.
Benefits for patients
Most people want to get their health care as close to home as possible. The Mayo Clinic Care Network helps keep care local by providing guidance and answers to many questions that might otherwise require a referral to a specialist. In many cases, this spares patients the expense and inconvenience of additional appointments and unnecessary travel. If specialty care is needed, patients can be seen by local providers or referred to Mayo Clinic.
Products and services of the Mayo Clinic Care Network
Members of the care network connect with Mayo Clinic through a number of products and services. The resources continue to expand and today include:
- eConsults. Providers within the care network can connect electronically with Mayo Clinic specialists and subspecialists to ask questions about a patient's care. The consultation is documented in the patient's medical record. There is no additional cost to the patient.
- AskMayoExpert. This point-of-care tool gives providers access to Mayo-vetted information, including disease management protocols, care guidelines, treatment recommendations and reference materials. The information is available on desktop computers or mobile devices 24/7.
- eBoard Conferences. Members can observe and participate in live, interactive video conferences where Mayo multidisciplinary teams and network members discuss management of current complex cases. Current offerings include access to eTumor Boards, as well as our Inflammatory Bowel Disease eBoard.
- Inpatient Telephone Consults. An Inpatient Telephone Consult is an informal telephone conversation, provider to provider, regarding the treatment of a hospitalized patient that requires semi-urgent to urgent intervention. There is no additional cost to the patient.
- Health Care Consulting. Network members can consult with Mayo Clinic experts in patient care, human resources, finance, and other administrative and operational areas. Members customize their own consulting plans to support their unique strategic priorities.
- Patient Education Library. Members have access to Mayo Clinic's library of patient education materials, which include 2,500 pieces in English and a select number in Spanish.
- Archived Mayo Clinic Grand Rounds. Presentations by Mayo Clinic providers and faculty address clinical care and health care delivery topics. Continuing medical education credit is available by viewing Grand Rounds offerings.