- Experience. Mayo Clinic specialists are experienced in performing tracheostomies in children and adults and in determining if the opening can be closed.
- Team approach. At Mayo Clinic, an experienced team of specialists, including neurologists, intensive care experts and other specialists, if needed, help provide thorough preoperative, operative and postoperative care.
- Patient education. Doctors and nurses teach parents and other caregivers about tracheostomy tube management to help them provide the best possible quality of life when the person returns home.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., and Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., are ranked among the Best Hospitals for ear, nose and throat by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., is ranked high performing for ear, nose and throat by U.S. News & World Report.
Sept. 04, 2013
- Tracheostomy. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/trach. Accessed May 30, 2013.
- Hall JB, et al. Principles of Critical Care. 3rd ed. New York: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2005. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=2287028. Accessed May 30, 2013.
- Hyzy RC. Overview of tracheostomy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 30, 2013.
- Bair AE. Emergent surgical cricothyrotomy (cricothyroidotomy). http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 30, 2013.
- Flint PW, et al. Cummings Otolaryngology: Head & Neck Surgery. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05283-2..X0001-8--TOP&isbn=978-0-323-05283-2&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed May 17, 2013.
- Kasperbauer JL (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 10, 2013.