Carcinoid tumors sometimes secrete chemicals that cause the signs and symptoms of carcinoid syndrome. Carcinoid tumors are rare. Carcinoid syndrome is even rarer.
Carcinoid tumors are rare, slow-growing cancerous tumors that most often occur in the gastrointestinal tract or in the lungs.
The risk of liver cancer may be reduced by protecting yourself from serious liver diseases such as cirrhosis and hepatitis B and C.
In Zollinger-Ellison syndrome, tumors in the pancreas or duodenum secrete a hormone called gastrin that leads to excessive stomach acid and ulcers.
March 12, 2015
- Wein AJ, et al. Ablative therapy for renal tumors. In: Campbell-Walsh Urology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 28, 2015.
- Niederhuber JE, et al., eds. Lung metastases. In: Abeloff's Clinical Oncology. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 28, 2015.
- Jarnagin WR. Radiofrequency ablation for liver tumors. In: Blumgart's Surgery of the Liver, Biliary Tract and Pancreas. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 28, 2015.
- Callstrom MR, et al. Image-guided ablation of skeletal metastases. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 28, 2015.
- Golden AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 14, 2014.