Hypnosis that's conducted by a trained therapist or health care professional is considered a safe, complementary and alternative medicine treatment. However, hypnosis may not be appropriate in people with severe mental illness.
Adverse reactions to hypnosis are rare, but may include:
- Drowsiness or dizziness
- Anxiety or distress
- Creation of false memories
Use special caution before using hypnosis for age regression to help you relive earlier events in your life. This practice remains controversial and has limited scientific evidence to support its use. It may cause strong emotions and can alter your memories or lead to creation of false memories.
Nov. 20, 2012
- FAQs about hypnosis. American Society of Clinical Hypnosis. http://www.asch.net/Public/GeneralInfoonHypnosis/FAQsAboutHypnosis/tabid/161/Default.aspx. Accessed July 20, 2012.
- Position statement regarding hypnosis. American Psychiatric Association. http://www.psychiatry.org/advocacy--newsroom/position-statements. Accessed Aug. 7, 2012.
- Stewart JH. Hypnosis in contemporary medicine. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2005;80:511.
- Selecting a qualified professional. American Society of Clinical Hypnosis. http://asch.net/Public/GeneralInfoonHypnosis/SelectingaQualifiedProfessional/tabid/137/Default.aspx. Accessed Aug. 7, 2012.
- Hypnosis today: Looking beyond the media portrayal. American Psychological Association. http://www.apa.org/topics/hypnosis/media.aspx. Accessed Aug. 7, 2012.
- Hypnosis. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/docroot/ETO/content/ETO_5_3X_Hypnosis.asp. Accessed Aug. 7, 2012.
- Chronic pain and CAM: At a glance. National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine. http://nccam.nih.gov/health/pain/chronic.htm. Accessed Aug. 8, 2012.
- Stern TA, et al. Massachusetts General Hospital Comprehensive Clinical Psychiatry. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/165034062-3/0/1657/142.html?tocnode=5754. Accessed Aug. 8, 2012.
- AskMayoExpert. Hypnosis. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.