You don't need any special preparation to undergo hypnosis. But it's a good idea to wear comfortable clothing to help you relax. Also, make sure that you're well-rested so that you're not inclined to fall asleep during the session.
Be sure you carefully choose a therapist or health care professional to perform hypnosis. Get a recommendation from someone you trust. Learn as much as you can about any therapist you're considering. Start by asking questions, such as:
Oct. 15, 2015
- Do you have training in a field such as psychology, medicine, social work or dentistry?
- Are you licensed in your specialty in this state?
- Where did you go to school, and where did you do your postgraduate training?
- How much training have you had in hypnotherapy and from what schools?
- What professional organizations do you belong to?
- How long have you been in practice?
- What are your fees?
- Will insurance cover your services?
- Frequently asked questions about hypnosis. American Society of Clinical Hypnosis. http://www.asch.net/Public/GeneralInfoonHypnosis/FAQsAboutHypnosis/tabid/161/Default.aspx. Accessed Sept. 28, 2015.
- Position statement regarding hypnosis. American Psychiatric Association. http://library.psych.org/dbtw-wpd/exec/dbtwpub.dll. Accessed Sept. 28, 2015.
- Stewart JH. Hypnosis in contemporary medicine. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2005;80:511.
- Selecting a qualified professional. American Society of Clinical Hypnosis. http://www.asch.net/Public/GeneralInfoonHypnosis/SelectingaQualifiedProfessional/tabid/137/Default.aspx. Accessed Sept. 28, 2015.
- Hypnosis today: Looking beyond the media portrayal. American Psychological Association. http://www.apa.org/topics/hypnosis/media.aspx. Accessed Sept. 28, 2015.
- Hypnosis. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/treatment/treatmentsandsideeffects/physicalsideeffects/pain/paindiary/pain-control-hypnosis. Accessed Sept. 28, 2015.
- Hypnosis. National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine. https://nccih.nih.gov/health/hypnosis. Accessed Sept. 28, 2015.
- Stern TA, et al. Massachusetts General Hospital Comprehensive Clinical Psychiatry. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/165034062-3/0/1657/142.html?tocnode=5754. Accessed Aug. 8, 2012.
- AskMayoExpert. Hypnosis. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
- Cordi MJ, et al. Deepening sleep by hypnotic suggestion. Sleep. 2014;37:1143.
- Cordi MJ, et al. Improving sleep and cognition by hypnotic suggestion in the elderly. Neuropsychologia. 2015;69:176.
- Randomized controlled trial of a cognitive-behavioral therapy plus hypnosis intervention to control fatigue in patients undergoing radiotherapy for breast cancer. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2014;32:557.