You don't need any special preparation to undergo hypnosis. But it's a good idea to wear comfortable clothing to help you relax. Also, make sure that you're well rested so that you're not inclined to fall asleep during the session.
Be sure you carefully choose a therapist or health care professional to perform hypnosis. Get a recommendation from someone you trust. Learn as much as you can about any therapist you're considering. Start by asking questions, such as:
Nov. 20, 2012
- Do you have training in a field such as psychology, medicine, social work or dentistry?
- Are you licensed in your specialty in this state?
- Where did you go to school, and where did you do your post-graduate training?
- How much training have you had in hypnotherapy and from what schools?
- What professional organizations do you belong to?
- How long have you been in practice?
- What are your fees?
- Will insurance cover your services?
- FAQs about hypnosis. American Society of Clinical Hypnosis. http://www.asch.net/Public/GeneralInfoonHypnosis/FAQsAboutHypnosis/tabid/161/Default.aspx. Accessed July 20, 2012.
- Position statement regarding hypnosis. American Psychiatric Association. http://www.psychiatry.org/advocacy--newsroom/position-statements. Accessed Aug. 7, 2012.
- Stewart JH. Hypnosis in contemporary medicine. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2005;80:511.
- Selecting a qualified professional. American Society of Clinical Hypnosis. http://asch.net/Public/GeneralInfoonHypnosis/SelectingaQualifiedProfessional/tabid/137/Default.aspx. Accessed Aug. 7, 2012.
- Hypnosis today: Looking beyond the media portrayal. American Psychological Association. http://www.apa.org/topics/hypnosis/media.aspx. Accessed Aug. 7, 2012.
- Hypnosis. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/docroot/ETO/content/ETO_5_3X_Hypnosis.asp. Accessed Aug. 7, 2012.
- Chronic pain and CAM: At a glance. National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine. http://nccam.nih.gov/health/pain/chronic.htm. Accessed Aug. 8, 2012.
- Stern TA, et al. Massachusetts General Hospital Comprehensive Clinical Psychiatry. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/165034062-3/0/1657/142.html?tocnode=5754. Accessed Aug. 8, 2012.
- AskMayoExpert. Hypnosis. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.