A flexible sigmoidoscopy exam poses few risks. Rarely, complications of a flexible sigmoidoscopy exam may include:
Jul. 15, 2014
- Bleeding from the site where a tissue sample (biopsy) was taken
- A tear in the colon or rectum wall
- Falchuk M. Patient information: Flexible sigmoidoscopy (Beyond the basics). http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 27, 2014.
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy. National Institute for Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/sigmoidoscopy/index.htm. Accessed Feb. 27, 2014.
- Screening for colorectal cancer: U.S. Preventative Services Task Force recommendation statement. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2008;149:627.
- Screening for colorectal cancer. U.S. Preventative Services Task Force. http://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/uspstf/uspscolo.htm. Accessed Feb. 27, 2014.
- A-Rahim YI, et al. Bowel preparation for colonoscopy and flexible sigmoidoscopy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 27, 2014.