Do you feel trapped in your own home? Do you worry about having a panic attack? Find out how agoraphobia can be treated.
Anaphylaxis is the most serious type of allergic reaction. It often occurs rapidly after exposure to an allergen and may be life-threatening.
Bee stings — Comprehensive overview covers prevention, treatment of bee stings.
Cholera causes severe diarrhea and can kill in a matter of hours, yet can be easily treated with oral or intravenous fluids.
Cryptosporidium infection may cause diarrhea in healthy people, but for people with HIV/AIDS and weakened immune systems, the illness can cause serious complications.
Cyclic vomiting syndrome can last for hours or days and shares many triggers with migraines.
Food poisoning has many forms, and some can be serious. Here's how to recognize food poisoning and ways to prevent getting sick.
Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome is initiated by a rodent-carried virus that infects the lung tissues, bringing on flu-like symptoms, respiratory problems and even death.
Kawasaki disease — the leading cause of acquired coronary disease in children — causes artery wall inflammation throughout the body. It affects children younger than age 5.
Legionnaires' disease, a severe form of pneumonia, is caused by bacteria that can live in water in air conditioning systems, showers and spas.
Most people exposed to listeria don't become ill. But for those at risk of a listeria infection — a foodborne illness — the consequences can be severe.
Noroviruses cause an intestinal flu-like illness that typically resolves within days. Norovirus infection is highly contagious, especially in closed settings like hospitals and cruise ships.
Ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS) — Comprehensive overview covers symptoms, treatment of this complication of infertility treatment.
Porphyria is a group of inherited disorders that result from buildup of natural chemicals call porphyrins, which can cause nervous system and skin problems.
Serotonin syndrome — caused by mixing some antidepressants and other medications — can be life-threatening if left untreated.
Severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) has sickened people worldwide. Although effective treatments aren't yet available, common-sense precautions may help you avoid infection.
Lacking certain vitamins can lead to vitamin deficiency anemia. Find out which vitamins are linked to this condition.
July 26, 2016
- Diarrhea. National Institute for Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/diarrhea/index.htm. Accessed March 27, 2016.
- Diarrheal diseases: Acute and chronic. American College of Gastroenterology. http://patients.gi.org/topics/diarrhea-acute-and-chronic/. Accessed March 27, 2016.
- Fleisher GR. Evaluation of diarrhea in children. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 27, 2016.
- Biswall S. Proton pump inhibitors and risk for Clostridium difficile associated diarrhea. Biomedical Journal. 2014;37:178.
- Litin SC (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 31, 2016.