If you're considering alternative cancer treatments, talk to your doctor about starting with one of these promising alternative therapies.
Antibiotics can save lives. Used inappropriately, however, they may cause more harm than good.
Complementary and alternative medicine encompasses many different therapies. Get the basics here.
Considering cosmetic surgery? Here's help deciding whether surgery is right for you.
Health insurance exchanges are big news, but what are they and how do they work?
You're considering a health savings account and a high-deductible health plan, but how do you know if this is the right option for you?
Many herbal supplements interact with medications for cardiovascular disease. Some of these interactions can be life-threatening.
Stressed out? Muscles ache? A massage might be what you need. But get the facts first.
What can mindfulness exercises do for you? Get the facts.
Urban legends and misinformation surround organ donation. Separate the fact from fiction.
If you or a loved one has a serious illness, palliative care might be an option. Understand the benefits of palliative care.
Therapy animals can provide comfort during illness and help speed recovery.
Before giving you a prescription, your doctor orders a test to see how you're likely to respond. Science fiction? No. Pharmacogenomics.
With gentle movements and focused breathing, tai chi helps reduce stress and anxiety. See if it's right for you.
Apr. 08, 2014
- AskMayoExpert. Complementary and alternative medicine. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- CAM basics: What is complementary and alternative medicine? National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine. http://nccam.nih.gov/health/whatiscam/. Accessed Dec. 13, 2013.
- Questions to ask your doctor: Questions are the answer. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. http://www.ahrq.gov/patients-consumers/patient-involvement/ask-your-doctor/index.html. Accessed Dec. 13, 2013.
- Safe Use Initiative fact sheet. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/SafeUseInitiative/ucm188760.htm. Accessed Dec. 13, 2013.
- Bauer BA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 13, 2013.