In some cases, your first sex headache may also be your only one. Some sex headaches improve rapidly, so the pain is gone before any pain reliever can work.
If you have a history of sex headaches and there's no underlying cause, your doctor may recommend that you take preventive medications regularly. These may include:
April 02, 2015
- Daily medications. Beta blockers, for example, propranolol (Inderal, Innopran XL) or metoprolol (Lopressor, Toprol-XL) — which are used to treat high blood pressure, coronary artery disease and migraines — may be taken daily to prevent sex headaches. They're recommended only if you have frequent or prolonged attacks.
- Occasional medications. Indomethacin (Indocin, Tivorbex), an anti-inflammatory, or one of the triptans, a class of anti-migraine medications, can be taken an hour before sex to prevent headaches.
- Cutrer FM, et al. Cough, exercise, and sex headaches. Neurology Clinics. 2014;32:433.
- Ropper AH, et al. Adams & Victor's Principles of Neurology. 10th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2014. http://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com/book.aspx?bookid=690. Accessed Jan. 19, 2015.
- Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=4. Accessed Jan. 19, 2015.
- Cutrer FM. Primary headache associated with sexual activity. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 19, 2015.
- Headache: Hope through research. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/headache/detail_headache.htm#142883138. Accessed Jan. 19, 2015.
- Bartleson JD (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 23, 2015.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.