- Expertise and experience. Mayo Clinic doctors have extensive experience treating children and adults who have psoriasis.
- Specialized treatment. Mayo offers all treatments for this disease, including one for moderate to severe psoriasis that's not available at many places. The Goeckerman treatment, which was invented at Mayo Clinic, involves daily ultraviolet light exposure and application of coal tar over the whole body.
- The right diagnosis. Each form of psoriasis has unique characteristics, and their effects on people range from mild to almost totally disabling. Your doctor will work with you to determine the correct diagnosis, which is essential for effective treatment.
Mayo Clinic: Answers you can trust
At Mayo Clinic, we assemble a team of specialists who take the time to listen and thoroughly understand your health issues and concerns. We tailor the care you receive to your personal health care needs. You can trust our specialists to collaborate and offer you the best possible outcomes, safety and service.
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit medical institution that reinvests all earnings into improving medical practice, research and education. We're constantly involved in innovation and medical research, finding solutions to improve your care and quality of life. Your doctor or someone on your medical team is likely involved in research related to your condition.
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care — and trusted answers — like they've never experienced.
Why Choose Mayo Clinic
What Sets Mayo Clinic Apart
April 11, 2014
- Bolognia JL, et al. Dermatology. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Penn.: Saunders Elsevier: 2012. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Dec. 6, 2013.
- Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Online. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=4. Accessed Dec. 6, 2013.
- Papadakis MA, et al. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2013. 52nd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2013. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=1. Accessed Dec. 6, 2013.
- Psoriasis. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Psoriasis/.Accessed Dec. 8, 2013.
- Weigle N, et al. Psoriasis. American Family Physician. 2013;87:626.
- Feldman SR, et al. Epidemiology, clinical manifestations, and diagnosis of psoriasis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 6, 2013.
- Armstrong AW, et al. The association between psoriasis and obesity: A systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies. Nutrition and Diabetes. 2012;2:1.
- Korman N. Comorbid disease in psoriasis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 16, 2013.
- Azfar RS, et al. Increased risk of diabetes mellitus and likelihood of receiving diabetes mellitus treatment in patients with psoriasis. Archives of Dermatology. 2012;148:995.
- Armstrong AW, et al. Coronary artery disease in patients with psoriasis referred for coronary angiography. American Journal of Cardiology. 2012;109:976.
- Ahlehoff, et al. Psoriasis and risk of atrial fibrillation and ischaemic stroke: a Danish nationwide cohort study. European Heart Journal. 2012;33:2054.
- Yeung H, et al. Psoriasis severity and the prevalence of major medical comorbidity: A population-based study. JAMA Dermatology. 2013;149:1173.
- Wan J, et al. Risk of moderate to advanced kidney disease in patients with psoriasis: population based cohort study. BMJ. 2013;347:1.
- Papoutsaki M, et al. Treatment of psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis. Biodrugs. 2013;27:3.
- Feldman SR, et al. Treatment of psoriasis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 6, 2013.
- Almutawa F, et al. Systematic review of UV-based therapy for psoriasis. American Journal of Clinical Dermatology. 2013;14:87.
- De Migeul R, et al. Efficacy, safety, and cost of Goeckerman therapy compared with biologics in the treatment of moderate to severe psoriasis. International Journal of Dermatology. 2009;48:653.
- Garcia-Perez ME, et al. New therapies under development for psoriasis treatment. Current Opinion in Pediatrics. 2013;25:480.
- Korteum KR, et al. Results of Goeckerman treatment for psoriasis in children: A 21-year retrospective review. Pediatric Dermatology. 2010;27:518.
- Aloe. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Dec. 9, 2013.
- Fish oil. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Dec. 9, 2013.
- Oregon grape. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Dec. 9, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.