A number of alternative therapies claim to ease the symptoms of psoriasis, including special diets, creams, dietary supplements and herbs. None have definitively been proved effective. But some alternative therapies are deemed generally safe, and they may be helpful to some people in reducing signs and symptoms, such as itching and scaling.
- Aloe vera. Taken from the leaves of the aloe vera plant, aloe extract cream may reduce redness, scaling, itching and inflammation. You may need to use the cream several times a day for a month or more to see any improvements in your skin.
- Fish oil. Omega-3 fatty acids found in fish oil supplements may reduce inflammation associated with psoriasis, although results from studies are mixed. Taking 3 grams or less of fish oil daily is generally recognized as safe, and you may find it beneficial.
- Oregon grape. Also known as barberry, topical applications of Oregon grape may reduce inflammation and ease psoriasis symptoms.
If you're considering dietary supplements or other alternative therapy to ease the symptoms of psoriasis, consult your doctor. He or she can help you weigh the pros and cons of specific alternative therapies.
Apr. 11, 2014
- Bolognia JL, et al. Dermatology. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Penn.: Saunders Elsevier: 2012. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Dec. 6, 2013.
- Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Online. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=4. Accessed Dec. 6, 2013.
- Papadakis MA, et al. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2013. 52nd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2013. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=1. Accessed Dec. 6, 2013.
- Psoriasis. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Psoriasis/.Accessed Dec. 8, 2013.
- Weigle N, et al. Psoriasis. American Family Physician. 2013;87:626.
- Feldman SR, et al. Epidemiology, clinical manifestations, and diagnosis of psoriasis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 6, 2013.
- Armstrong AW, et al. The association between psoriasis and obesity: A systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies. Nutrition and Diabetes. 2012;2:1.
- Korman N. Comorbid disease in psoriasis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 16, 2013.
- Azfar RS, et al. Increased risk of diabetes mellitus and likelihood of receiving diabetes mellitus treatment in patients with psoriasis. Archives of Dermatology. 2012;148:995.
- Armstrong AW, et al. Coronary artery disease in patients with psoriasis referred for coronary angiography. American Journal of Cardiology. 2012;109:976.
- Ahlehoff, et al. Psoriasis and risk of atrial fibrillation and ischaemic stroke: a Danish nationwide cohort study. European Heart Journal. 2012;33:2054.
- Yeung H, et al. Psoriasis severity and the prevalence of major medical comorbidity: A population-based study. JAMA Dermatology. 2013;149:1173.
- Wan J, et al. Risk of moderate to advanced kidney disease in patients with psoriasis: population based cohort study. BMJ. 2013;347:1.
- Papoutsaki M, et al. Treatment of psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis. Biodrugs. 2013;27:3.
- Feldman SR, et al. Treatment of psoriasis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 6, 2013.
- Almutawa F, et al. Systematic review of UV-based therapy for psoriasis. American Journal of Clinical Dermatology. 2013;14:87.
- De Migeul R, et al. Efficacy, safety, and cost of Goeckerman therapy compared with biologics in the treatment of moderate to severe psoriasis. International Journal of Dermatology. 2009;48:653.
- Garcia-Perez ME, et al. New therapies under development for psoriasis treatment. Current Opinion in Pediatrics. 2013;25:480.
- Korteum KR, et al. Results of Goeckerman treatment for psoriasis in children: A 21-year retrospective review. Pediatric Dermatology. 2010;27:518.
- Aloe. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Dec. 9, 2013.
- Fish oil. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Dec. 9, 2013.
- Oregon grape. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Dec. 9, 2013.