Dealing with the fatigue and weakness of post-polio syndrome can be difficult, physically and psychologically. You may need to lean on your friends and family for support. In most cases, they're probably already looking for ways to help you, and you can help them by telling them how.
You may even consider joining a support group for people with post-polio syndrome. Sometimes, just talking things over with people who have similar problems enables you to better cope with the challenges at hand. You can contact Post-Polio Health International to find out about support groups in your area.
Mar. 03, 2011
- Boyer FC, et al. Post-polio syndrome: Pathophysiological hypotheses, diagnosis criteria, medication therapeutics. Annals of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine. 2010;53:34.
- Simionescu L, et al. Post-polio syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Dec. 16, 2010.
- Post-polio syndrome — polio's legacy. Clinical Medicine. 2010;10:213.
- Post-polio syndrome fact sheet, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/post_polio/detail_post_polio.htm. Accessed Jan. 15, 2011.
- Tiffreau V, et al. Post-polio syndrome and rehabilitation. Annals of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine. 2010;53:42.