Bright red vaginal bleeding without pain during the second half of pregnancy is the main sign of placenta previa. Bleeding ranges from light to heavy. The bleeding usually stops without treatment, but it nearly always returns days or weeks later. Some women also experience contractions.
When to see a doctor
If you have vaginal bleeding during your second or third trimester, call your doctor right away. If the bleeding is severe, seek emergency medical care.
May 09, 2014
- Lockwood CJ, et al. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of placenta previa. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 27, 2014.
- Bleeding during pregnancy. American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org/~/media/For%20Patients/faq038.ashx. Accessed Jan. 27, 2014.
- Lockwood CJ, et al. Management of placenta previa. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 27, 2014.
- Placenta previa. March of Dimes. http://www.marchofdimes.com/pregnancy/placenta-previa.aspx. Accessed Jan. 27, 2014.
- Cunningham FG, et al. Williams Obstetrics. 23rd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2010. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=46. Accessed Jan. 27, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.