Pregnancy is supposed to be a time of happy anticipation. If you're diagnosed with placenta previa, you're sure to worry about how your condition will affect you, your baby and your family. Some of these strategies may help:
May. 09, 2014
- Learn about placenta previa. Gathering information about your condition may help you feel less scared. Talk to your health care provider, do some research on your own and connect with other women who've had placenta previa.
- Prepare for a C-section. Placenta previa may prevent you from delivering your baby vaginally. If you're disappointed that you may not have a vaginal birth, remind yourself that your baby's health and your health are more important than the method of delivery.
- Make the best of bed rest. Fill your days by planning for your baby's arrival. Read about newborn care or purchase newborn necessities, either online or by phone. Or use the time to balance your checkbook, organize old photo albums or catch up on thank-you notes.
- Take care of yourself. Surround yourself with things that comfort you, such as a good book or music you love. Give your partner, friends and loved ones concrete suggestions for ways to help, such as bringing a favorite food or simply stopping by for a visit.
- Lockwood CJ, et al. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of placenta previa. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 27, 2014.
- Bleeding during pregnancy. American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org/~/media/For%20Patients/faq038.ashx. Accessed Jan. 27, 2014.
- Lockwood CJ, et al. Management of placenta previa. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 27, 2014.
- Placenta previa. March of Dimes. http://www.marchofdimes.com/pregnancy/placenta-previa.aspx. Accessed Jan. 27, 2014.
- Cunningham FG, et al. Williams Obstetrics. 23rd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2010. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=46. Accessed Jan. 27, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.