A diagnosis of Henoch-Schonlein purpura is fairly easy to make if the classic rash, joint pain and gastrointestinal symptoms are present. If some of these signs and symptoms are missing, your doctor may suggest one or more of the following tests.
Although no single test can confirm Henoch-Schonlein purpura, certain tests can help rule out other diseases and make a diagnosis of Henoch-Schonlein seem likely. They may include:
- Blood tests. People who have Henoch-Schonlein purpura often have abnormal levels of a particular type of antibody in their blood.
- Urine tests. Your urine may be tested for evidence of blood and to determine if your kidneys are still working properly.
If there are doubts about the rash or if other tests are inconclusive, your doctor may take a small sample of skin to be examined under a microscope. In cases of severe kidney involvement, your doctor may suggest a kidney biopsy to help guide treatment decisions.
Your doctor may recommend an ultrasound to rule out other causes of abdominal pain and to check for possible complications, such as a bowel obstruction.
Jul. 31, 2013
- Henoch-Schonlein pupura. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/hsp. Accessed May 1, 2013.
- Kliegman RM, et al. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1608/0.html. Accessed May 1, 2013.
- AskMayoExpert. Henoch-Schonlein purpura. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Dedeoglu F, et al. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of Henoch-Schonlein purpura. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 1, 2013.
- Dedeoglu F, et al. Management of Henoch-Schonlein purpura. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 1, 2013.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2013:5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-08373-7..00002-9&isbn=978-0-323-08373-7&about=true&uniqId=343863096-23. Accessed May 1, 2013.