The only way to prevent egg allergy symptoms is to avoid eggs or egg products. Some people with egg allergies, however, can tolerate foods that contain well-cooked eggs, such as baked goods.
Antihistamines to ease symptoms
Medications such as antihistamines may reduce signs and symptoms of a mild egg allergy. These drugs can be taken after exposure to eggs. They aren't effective for preventing an allergic egg reaction or for treating a severe reaction.
Emergency epinephrine shots
You may need to carry an emergency epinephrine injector (EpiPen, Auvi-Q, others) at all times. Anaphylaxis requires an epinephrine shot, a trip to the emergency room and observation for a time to be sure symptoms don't return.
Learn how to use the autoinjector. If your child has one, make sure caregivers have access to it and know how to use it. If your child is old enough, make sure he or she understands how to use it. Replace the autoinjector before its expiration date.
Most children eventually outgrow egg allergy. Talk to your child's doctor about frequency of testing to see whether eggs still cause symptoms. It may be unsafe for you to test your child's reaction to eggs at home, particularly if your child has had a severe reaction to eggs in the past.
Jan. 27, 2015
- Food allergy: An overview. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. http://www.niaid.nih.gov/Pages/publications.aspx. Accessed July 3, 2014.
- Wang J, et al. Egg allergy: Clinical features and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 3, 2014.
- Wang J. Egg allergy: Management. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 3, 2014.
- Egg allergy. American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. http://www.acaai.org/allergist/allergies/Types/food-allergies/types/Pages/egg-allergy.aspx. Accessed July 3, 2014.
- About food allergies: Egg allergy. Food Allergy Research and Education. http://www.foodallergy.org/allergens/egg-allergy. Accessed July 3, 2014.
- Tips for avoiding your allergen. Food Allergy Research and Education. http://www.foodallergy.org/document.doc?id=133. Accessed July 3, 2014.
- Sicherer SH. Management of food allergy: Avoidance. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 3, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.