Mayo Clinic doctors have expertise and experience in evaluating and treating people who have cirrhosis. Doctors treat more than 6,500 people each year who have cirrhosis.
Mayo Clinic researchers developed the model for end-stage liver disease (MELD) now used nationwide to assess people's disease progression and allocate organs for transplant.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., ranks No. 1 for digestive disorders in the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals rankings. Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., are ranked among the Best Hospitals for digestive disorders by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic also ranks among the Best Children's Hospitals for digestive disorders.
April 06, 2016
- Sanchez W, et al. Liver cirrhosis. The American College of Gastroenterology. http://patients.gi.org/topics/liver-cirrhosis. Accessed Dec. 26, 2015.
- Ferri FF. Cirrhosis. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2016. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Dec. 26, 2015.
- Cirrhosis. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/liver-disease/cirrhosis/Pages/facts.aspx. Accessed Dec. 27, 2015.
- Boyer TD, et al., eds. Hepatic fibrosis and cirrhosis. In: Zakim & Boyer's Hepatology: A Textbook of Liver Disease. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Dec. 26, 2015.
- Tsochatzis EA, et al. Liver cirrhosis. The Lancet. 2014; 383:1749.
- Feldman M, et al. Overview of Cirrhosis. In: Sleisenger and Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 8, 2015.
- Singal AK, et al. Model for end-stage liver disease. Journal of Clinical and Experimental Hepatology. 2013;3:50.
- Toshikuni N, et al. Nutrition and exercise in the management of liver cirrhosis. World Journal of Gastroenterology. 2014;20:7286.
- Cook AJ. AllScripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 22, 2015.
- Goldberg E, et al. Cirrhosis in adults: Etiologies, clinical manifestations, and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 27, 2015.
- De Robertis R, et al. Noninvasive diagnosis of cirrhosis: A review of different imaging modalities. World Journal of Gastroenterology. 2014;20:7231.
- Czaja AJ. Hepatic inflammation and progressive liver fibrosis in chronic liver disease. World Journal of Gastroenterology. 2014;20:2515.
- Primary biliary cirrhosis (PBC). American Liver Foundation. http://www.liverfoundation.org/abouttheliver/info/pbc/. Accessed Dec. 27, 2015.
- Liver transplant. American Liver Foundation. http://www.liverfoundation.org/abouttheliver/info/transplant/. Accessed Dec. 27, 2015.
- Rakel D. Chronic hepatitis. In: Integrative Medicine. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Dec. 7, 2015.
- Hepatitis C: A focus on dietary supplements. National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health. https://nccih.nih.gov/health/hepatitisc/hepatitiscfacts.htm. Accessed Dec. 27, 2015.
- U.S. News best hospitals 2013-2014. U.S. News & World Report. http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings/gastroenterology-and-gi-surgery. Accessed Dec. 27, 2015.
- Singh S, et al. Liver stiffness is associated with risk of decompensation, liver cancer, and death in patients with chronic liver diseases: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 2013;11:1573.
- Picco MF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, Fla. Jan. 10, 2016.
- Keaveny AP (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, Fla. March 15, 2016.