Part of Mayo Clinic's commitment to its patients involves conducting medical research that helps people live longer, healthier lives. Clinical trials are research studies that involve volunteer participants. These human studies help doctors better understand diagnose, treat, and prevent diseases or conditions.
Mayo Clinic has thousands of active clinical trials and research studies; and coordinates national clinical trials with other medical centers. See Mayo's clinical trials website and search for a study by condition, treatment or drug name.
Mayo Clinic researchers continually develop new studies, so ask your health care provider about clinical studies or visit ClinicalTrials.gov to learn about additional research opportunities.
April 06, 2016
- Sanchez W, et al. Liver cirrhosis. The American College of Gastroenterology. http://patients.gi.org/topics/liver-cirrhosis. Accessed Dec. 26, 2015.
- Ferri FF. Cirrhosis. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2016. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Dec. 26, 2015.
- Cirrhosis. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/liver-disease/cirrhosis/Pages/facts.aspx. Accessed Dec. 27, 2015.
- Boyer TD, et al., eds. Hepatic fibrosis and cirrhosis. In: Zakim & Boyer's Hepatology: A Textbook of Liver Disease. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Dec. 26, 2015.
- Tsochatzis EA, et al. Liver cirrhosis. The Lancet. 2014; 383:1749.
- Feldman M, et al. Overview of Cirrhosis. In: Sleisenger and Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 8, 2015.
- Singal AK, et al. Model for end-stage liver disease. Journal of Clinical and Experimental Hepatology. 2013;3:50.
- Toshikuni N, et al. Nutrition and exercise in the management of liver cirrhosis. World Journal of Gastroenterology. 2014;20:7286.
- Cook AJ. AllScripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 22, 2015.
- Goldberg E, et al. Cirrhosis in adults: Etiologies, clinical manifestations, and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 27, 2015.
- De Robertis R, et al. Noninvasive diagnosis of cirrhosis: A review of different imaging modalities. World Journal of Gastroenterology. 2014;20:7231.
- Czaja AJ. Hepatic inflammation and progressive liver fibrosis in chronic liver disease. World Journal of Gastroenterology. 2014;20:2515.
- Primary biliary cirrhosis (PBC). American Liver Foundation. http://www.liverfoundation.org/abouttheliver/info/pbc/. Accessed Dec. 27, 2015.
- Liver transplant. American Liver Foundation. http://www.liverfoundation.org/abouttheliver/info/transplant/. Accessed Dec. 27, 2015.
- Rakel D. Chronic hepatitis. In: Integrative Medicine. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Dec. 7, 2015.
- Hepatitis C: A focus on dietary supplements. National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health. https://nccih.nih.gov/health/hepatitisc/hepatitiscfacts.htm. Accessed Dec. 27, 2015.
- U.S. News best hospitals 2013-2014. U.S. News & World Report. http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings/gastroenterology-and-gi-surgery. Accessed Dec. 27, 2015.
- Singh S, et al. Liver stiffness is associated with risk of decompensation, liver cancer, and death in patients with chronic liver diseases: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 2013;11:1573.
- Picco MF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, Fla. Jan. 10, 2016.
- Keaveny AP (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, Fla. March 15, 2016.