Mild cervical spondylosis might respond to:
April 15, 2015
- Regular exercise. Maintaining activity will help speed recovery, even if you have to temporarily modify some of your exercises because of neck pain. People who walk daily are less likely to experience neck and low back pain.
- Over-the-counter pain relievers. Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin IB, others), naproxen sodium (Aleve) or acetaminophen (Tylenol, others) is often enough to control the pain associated with cervical spondylosis.
- Heat or ice. Applying heat or ice to your neck can ease sore neck muscles.
- Soft neck brace. The brace allows your neck muscles to rest. However, a neck brace should be worn for only short periods of time because it can eventually weaken neck muscles.
- Shen FH, et al. Cervical spondylotic myelopathy. In: Textbook of the Cervical Spine. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 5, 2015.
- Levin K. Cervical spondylitic myelopathy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 5, 2015.
- Isaac Z. Evaluation of the patient with neck pain and cervical spine disorders. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 5, 2015.
- Robinson J. Clinical features and diagnosis of cervical radiculopathy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 5, 2015.
- Cervical spondylosis (arthritis of the neck). American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00369. Accessed March 5, 2015.
- AskMayoExpert. What is cervical spondylitic myelopathy? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. What causes cervical spine pain? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Robinson J. Treatment of cervical radiculopathy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 5, 2015.
- Shelerud RA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 24, 2015.
- Sitthipornvorakul E, et al. The effect of daily walking steps on preventing neck and low back pain in sedentary workers: A 1-year prospective cohort study. European Spine Journal. 2015;24:417.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.