- Expertise and experience. Mayo Clinic doctors and surgeons evaluate and treat hundreds of people who have carotid artery disease each year, and perform complex surgeries. Mayo Clinic in Arizona, Florida and Minnesota are certified as primary stroke centers by The Joint Commission, a national organization that evaluates and accredits health care providers.
- Team approach. At Mayo Clinic, doctors trained in heart and blood vessel conditions (cardiologists), blood vessel surgery (vascular and endovascular surgeons), brain conditions (neurologists), brain surgery (neurosurgeons), imaging techniques (radiologists) and other specialties work as a team to diagnose people who have carotid artery disease and determine the most appropriate treatment.
- Efficient system. Mayo Clinic doctors often can diagnose your condition and develop a treatment plan within a few days.
- Technology. Mayo Clinic doctors use the most current technology in diagnostic tests and treatment for carotid artery disease.
- Research. Mayo Clinic doctors actively research new and improved carotid artery disease treatment and conduct clinical trials.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., is ranked among the Best Hospitals for neurology and neurosurgery and for heart and heart surgery by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic also ranks among the Best Children's Hospitals in neurology and neurosurgery and for heart and heart surgery.
Mayo Clinic: Answers you can trust
At Mayo Clinic, we assemble a team of specialists who take the time to listen and thoroughly understand your health issues and concerns. We tailor the care you receive to your personal health care needs. You can trust our specialists to collaborate and offer you the best possible outcomes, safety and service.
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit medical institution that reinvests all earnings into improving medical practice, research and education. We're constantly involved in innovation and medical research, finding solutions to improve your care and quality of life. Your doctor or someone on your medical team is likely involved in research related to your condition.
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care — and trusted answers — like they've never experienced.
Why Choose Mayo Clinic
What Sets Mayo Clinic Apart
Oct. 01, 2011
- Carotid artery disease. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/catd/catd_whatis.html. Accessed June 24, 2011.
- Carotid artery disease, stroke, transient ischemic attacks (TIAs). Society for Vascular Surgery. http://www.vascularweb.org/vascularhealth/Pages/carotid-artery-disease-,-stroke-,-transient-ischemic-attacks-(-tias-)-.aspx. Accessed June 24, 2011.
- Feldman G, et al. Peripheral arterial disease. In: Bope ET, et al. Conn's Current Therapy. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-0986-5..C2009-0-38984-9--TOP&isbn=978-1-4377-0986-5&about=true&uniqId=236797353-5. Accessed June 25, 2011.
- Schwartz J, et al. Cardiovascular disease in the elderly. In: Bonow RO, et al. Braunwald's Heart Disease: A Textbook of Cardiovascular Medicine. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-0398-6..C2009-0-59734-6--TOP&isbn=978-1-4377-0398-6&about=true&uniqId=236798031-10. Accessed June 25, 2011.
- Furie KL, et al. Evaluation of carotid artery stenosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed June 24, 2011.
- Questions and answers about carotid endarterectomy. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/stroke/carotid_endarterectomy_backgrounder.htm. Accessed June 24, 2011.
- FDA expands approved use for carotid stent. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm254430.htm. Accessed June 24, 2011.
- Angioplasty and vascular stenting. Radiological Society of North America. http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=angioplasty. Accessed June 24, 2011.
- Healthy diet goals. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/NutritionCenter/HealthyDietGoals/Healthy-Diet-Goals_UCM_310436_SubHomePage.jsp. Accessed June 28, 2011.
- Meissner I (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 6, 2011.