Virtually any type of cancer can spread to the bones, but the cancers most likely to cause bone metastasis include:
Apr. 27, 2012
- Breast cancer
- Kidney cancer
- Lung cancer
- Multiple myeloma
- Prostate cancer
- Thyroid cancer
- Walsh D, et al. Palliative Medicine. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05674-8..X5001-4&isbn=978-0-323-05674-8&uniqId=325267977-3. Accessed March 23, 2012.
- Abeloff MD, et al. Abeloff's Clinical Oncology. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-4/0/1709/0.html. Accessed March 23, 2012.
- Canale ST, et al. Campbell's Operative Orthopaedics. 11th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-4/0/1584/0.html. Accessed April 3, 2012.
- Browner BD, et al. Skeletal Trauma. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2009. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-2220-6..X1000-6&isbn=978-1-4160-2220-6&uniqId=327645813-3. Accessed April 3, 2012.
- Paes FM, et al. Radiopharmaceuticals: When and how to use them to treat metastatic bone pain. Supportive Oncology. 2011;9:197.
- Rosenthal D, et al. Critical review of the state of the art in interventional oncology: Benign and metastatic disease involving bone. Radiology. 2012;262:765.
- Metastatic cancer. National Cancer Institute. http://cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Sites-Types/metastatic. Accessed March 23, 2012.
- Moynihan TJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 9, 2012.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.