Blastocystis hominis is a microscopic organism that may be found in the stools of healthy people who aren't having any digestive symptoms. Blastocystis hominis is also sometimes found in the stools of people who have diarrhea, abdominal pain or other gastrointestinal problems.
Researchers don't yet fully understand the role that Blastocystis hominis plays, if any, in causing an infection. Certain forms of Blastocystis hominis may be more likely to be linked to an infection with symptoms. Sometimes, blastocystis simply lives in a person's digestive tract without causing harm.
A Blastocystis hominis infection usually clears up on its own. There are no proven treatments for these infections. But, if your symptoms don't get better, your doctor may recommend trying certain medications.
Aug. 08, 2017
- Leder K, et al. Blastocystis species. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 31, 2015.
- Longo DL, et al., eds. Protozoal infections. In: Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 19th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2015. http://accessmedicine.com. Accessed Oct. 31, 2015.
- Turkeltaub JA, et al. The intestinal protozoa: Emerging impact on global health and development. Current Opinion in Gastroenterology. 2015;31:38.
- Feldman M, et al. Intestinal protozoa. In: Sleisenger and Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 31, 2015.
- Oral rehydration solutions: Made at home. Rehydration Project. http://rehydrate.org/solutions/homemade.htm. Accessed Nov. 1, 2015.
- Food and water safety. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/page/food-water-safety. Accessed Nov. 1, 2015.
- Backer HD. Water disinfection for travelers. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2016/the-pre-travel-consultation/water-disinfection-for-travelers. Accessed Nov. 1, 2015.
- Watson JC, et al. Food and water precautions. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2016/the-pre-travel-consultation/food-water-precautions. Accessed Nov. 1, 2015.
- Handwashing: Clean hands save lives. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/when-how-handwashing.html. Accessed Nov. 1, 2015.
Blastocystis hominis infection