To reduce your risk of avascular necrosis and improve your general health:
March 21, 2015
- Limit alcohol. Heavy drinking is one of the top risk factors for developing avascular necrosis.
- Keep cholesterol levels low. Tiny bits of fat are the most common substance blocking blood supply to bones.
- Monitor steroid use. Make sure your doctor knows about any past or present use of high-dose steroids. Steroid-related bone damage appears to worsen with repeated courses of high-dose steroids.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2015: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2015. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 23, 2015.
- Jones LC, et al. Osteonecrosis (avascular necrosis of bone). http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 19, 2015.
- Firestein GS, et al. Kelley's Textbook of Rheumatology. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 23, 2015.
- AskMayoExpert. Who gets avascular necrosis of the hip? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Questions and answers about osteonecrosis (avascular necrosis). National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Osteonecrosis/default.asp. Accessed Jan. 23, 2015.
- Chang-Miller A (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Phoenix/Scottsdale, Ariz. Jan. 29, 2015.
- Issa K, et al. Osteonecrosis of the femoral head: The total hip replacement solution. Bone & Joint Journal. 2013;95-B:46.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.