Congenital heart disease (congenital heart defect) is one or more abnormalities in your heart's structure that you're born with. This most common of birth defects can alter the way blood flows through your heart. Defects range from simple, which might cause no problems, to complex, which can cause life-threatening complications.
Advances in diagnosis and treatment mean most babies who once died of congenital heart disease survive well into adulthood. However, signs and symptoms of the condition can occur in adults later in life, even those who had treatment as a child.
If you have congenital heart disease you might need care throughout your life. Check with your doctor to determine how often you should be seen as an adult.
Adult congenital heart disease care at Mayo Clinic
April 06, 2017
- About congenital heart defects. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/CongenitalHeartDefects/AboutCongenitalHeartDefects/About-Congenital-Heart-Defects_UCM_001217_Article.jsp#.WD8pOpK8x8g. Accessed Nov. 30, 2016.
- Congenital heart defects. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/chd/signs. Accessed Nov. 30, 2016.
- Pandya B, et al. Congenital heart disease in adults. British Medical Journal. 2016;354:i3905.
- Guidelines for treating adults with congenital heart disease. American College of Cardiology. https://www.cardiosmart.org/Heart-Conditions/Guidelines/ACHD. Accessed Nov. 30, 2016.
- Living with a congenital heart defect. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/heartdefects/living.html. Accessed Nov. 30, 2016.
- Overview of congenital cardiovascular anomalies. Merck Manual Professional Version. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/pediatrics/congenital_cardiovascular_anomalies/overview_of_congenital_cardiovascular_anomalies.html. Accessed Dec. 1, 2016.
- Riggins E. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 4, 2016.
News, connections and conversations for your health
Congenital heart disease in adults